2 min read
October 12, 2016
October is a busy month in the gardener’s annual calendar as we prepare our gardens for the winter. Read on as we bring you some of the main jobs to be getting on within the garden this month…
- Deciduous hedges require their last trim to keep them looking tidy until the spring.
- Plant spring-flowering bulbs into borders. Remember to plant at three times the depth of the bulb to encourage flowering in subsequent years
- If you are planting up bulbs in containers, plant them in layers to create pots full of colour next spring!
- Cut back any faded herbaceous perennials
- Prune dormant roses to protect them in winter and improve flowering in spring. Autumn pruning also prevents wind damage to long shoots
- Hard prune your Buddleia, Cornus and Lavatera to create vigorous growth next year
- Plant new trees, shrubs, conifers and hedging plants while the soil is still warm.
- Plant your winter flowering pansies, wallflowers and forget-me-nots. Apply a dressing to encourage growth
- Deadhead hanging baskets and add feed and water. When they need refreshing, plant with spring-flowering bulbs, pansies, winter heathers and trailing ivy.
Trees and shrubs
- Move shrubs, trees, climbers and hedging that is in the wrong place
- Azaleas and rhododendrons will need watering to encourage flowering next year
- Check that your trees are tied and staked well in time for winter
- Scarify your lawn to remove moss
- Aerate the lawn to improve drainage and brush sharp sand into the holes.
- Apply an autumn lawn feed
- Rake any fallen leaves off the lawn to allow light and air onto the lawn
- Don’t mow your lawns too low – 2.5cm is a good length
- Recut or repair lawn edges that have been broken
- Keep supplying the birds with fresh food and water daily.
- Clean down garden furniture and store it for the winter
- Clean down your patio and store any empty pots to protect them from frost.
If you want to cut down garden maintenance this month, why not consider installing artificial grass from Artificial Grass Direct? With many ranges now in our sale, you can achieve a lush, green, no hassle lawn at a fraction of the price. Get in touch on 0845 177 1664 or request a FREE sample today!