World Environment Day
The United Nations General Assembly established World Environment Day in 1972 to mark the opening of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment.
World Environment Day is held each year on June 5. Its main purpose is to stimulate worldwide awareness of the environment and enhance political attention and action.
World Environment Day is celebrated throughout the world in many different ways. Activities include street rallies and parades, as well as concerts, tree planting, and clean-up campaigns
One of the hottest debates of the moment is whether artificial grass is eco – friendly. There are certainly some very convincing benefits of artificial grass over real turf in terms of time and maintenance of a lawn, but equally there are environmental benefits too.
- Artificial grass doesn’t need to be watered like real turf. It retains its lush green appearance without water even in prolonged periods of hot weather. This can save billions of gallons of water a year, particularly in hot climates where grass is watered daily.
- There is never any need to apply lawn treatments to artificial grass. Chemicals in soluble fertilisers leech out of the soil into rivers and stream causing water pollution.
- As insects and bugs do not live on artificial grass there is no need to use pesticides. The harmful chemicals in pesticides get washed into the soil in water runoff and can detrimentally affect beneficial mini beasts living in the soil. These chemicals can also be passed up the food chain, harming birds and small mammals.
- Artificial grass does not need mowing so there is no need to dispose of clippings. Also mowers and automatic trimmers used to cut real grass give off emissions that contribute to air pollution and add to noise pollution.
- Artificial grass aids recycling by making use of recycled tyres in its manufacturing process.
If you are considering the benefits of artificial grass and would like more information call Artificial Grass Direct on 0845 322 5588 today for a free quote.